Cluck, Cluck, Cluck

13 October 2008

Snow! Snow! And More SNOW!

It snowed the entire time that I was awake yesterday. All morning, Snow. All afternoon? Snow. All evening? Yes, you guessed it...SNOW!

Now, I realize that I live in ALASKA (no, I can't see Russia OR Canada from my house...neither can Sarah Palin, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't know that). And that this is the ARCTIC. And that it is winter in the arctic Most of The Damn Time, but I am not really a snow person per se. I totally understand why millions and millions of people live in Southern California. 72. Sunny. 99% of the time. I get that. I would love that. I don't care if it means sharing my space with 20 million like minded people.

Of course, that won't be happening.

Instead I am resolved to take up a winter sport in earnest. I started running outside last winter and have the grippers for my shoes and everything. They make all the difference in the world when it comes to running on snow and ice. I also own a pair of ice skates (Boyfriend is from Canada. Apparently, hockey is sport or something there.) and a pair of cross country ski boots. And polls I think. I probably don't have the polls anymore. Or the skis (which weren't really mine, they were hand-me-downs from my ex-sister-in-law and were too short or something at any rate.) I never really took much to skiing. I didn't have the right gear (snow/wind pants for starters) and I got on skis for the first time when I was 22, so. Ugh.

I would like to learn how to X-Country ski. I've been enjoying trail running a lot this fall. Daughter is to young for lessons for a few more years, but it would be good if I knew what I was doing by the time she gets really into it. Also, everyone in her Dad's Family skis, so I don't want to be the odd man out of her winter activity.

Plus, its good for you. Its easier on your knees than running which, in the long run, will probably extend my running 'career'.

Which means....ta da!...that in addition to a new computer, a better camera, a house, and a car, I also need Cross Country Skis, Polls, Snow Pants, and Lessons. The hat that I need for winter running to keep my ears from freezing and falling off (don't laugh, that has happened to people), will double for skiing. That is something. See, I am practically THRIFTY!

Seriously, Internet, I need a job. If only for the stuff it can buy.

No comments: